Shea Carr Jewell staff love to work in small communities: the history and tradition, the sense of ownership that long-time residents have, and the close-knit community dynamic where no one is allowed to be an anonymous face.
The Town of Wilkeson sits at the base of Mount Rainier, about 20 miles east of Tacoma, Washington. Rich in a history of coal mining and home to the sandstone quarry for the State Capitol, the Town has several historic buildings along Church Street.
The corridor plan will emphasize the rich cultural heritage while emphasizing the key elements SCJ has found many small communities are challenged by:
- Convenient public parking;
- State highway requirements;
- Transportation Demand Management (TDM);
- Access to public spaces and water amenities;
- Public involvement;
- Improved pedestrian connections;
- Regional trail development; and
- Downtown traffic circulation.